Tuesday 5 July 2016

Live "Your" Life in Retirement

When I was growing up in the 1960’s, The Monkees released a song called “I’ll Spend My Life With You” that was written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart.  For some reason, I really liked the song although, as a young boy, it didn’t mean anything to me. 

As I have aged and experienced life, I have gained a new perspective and now the words mean something to me.  I have no idea what the song’s writers had in mind when they penned the tune, but to me this song can easily apply to my brother’s life and to the future retirement he never got to experience.

Dale turned 60 in January of 2014 and like many his age, he was working hard trying to save for his retirement.  Throughout his life, he worked at many jobs and careers and I am sure he felt like he sometimes was lost in the sea of his generation.  Dale was nearing the end of his working life and in his mind, I think he felt he was on the home stretch.

“People come and people go
Movin’ fast and movin’ slow
I’m in a crowd yet I’m all alone  
The road is long the road is rough
I do believe I’ve had enough
I’m gonna turn around and head for home”

A few weeks after his birthday, Dale was diagnosed with cancer.  I visited with him in early February following his first chemo treatment and we spoke about how we all seem to lead a life that isn’t ours.  For whatever reason, we tend to live the kind of life that we think will please our parents, our spouse or someone else we deem important.

“I’ve had all the time I need
To rearrange my mind and lead
The life I thought I wanted yesterday
I played a game that couldn’t last
And now some mem’ries from the past
Have turned my thoughts around a different way”

When you think about your retirement, consider whether you have lived your life in a way that has been true to your heart.  My brother passed away a week after our visit and he never had the opportunity to live the life he said he was going to once he recovered.  I believe a life of regret passed with him.   

Take the time to plan your retirement from the life perspective and ensure that you live “your” life to the fullest.  And because we never know, it might be a good idea to begin the practice today.






     




No comments:

Post a Comment